Thursday, March 1, 2012

Helping...

This post begins what I'm sure will be a long-winded investigation into truth-telling through art, the power of story, and importance of historical accuracy.  This post centers around a discussion of the 2011 movie The Help lead by author, professor and MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry.

Quick Summary of The Help (for the 3 of you who haven't read the book or seen the movie):
Based on the tremendously popular novel of the same title by Kathryn Stockett, The Help follows two groups of women living in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962.  One is a group of poor, black, female domestic workers.  The other is a group of wealthy, white 20-something women whom the black women work for.  One of the white girls (the only one who has graduated from college) wants a job as a reporter.  She sees that the black women aren't being treated fairly and decides to write something about their plight.  She ends up interviewing a handful of black maids from Jackson, collecting their interviews into a book and using that book to secure a writing job in New York City.  The book is published and read by many in Jackson, which gives voice to the black maids (who had previously been quieted in the white section of town) allowing them to both praise and discredit their employers.

Two great things about The Help:
1.) It has gotten people talking about issues of race.
2.) It reminds us (or shows us for the first time) that black women have important stories to tell. 
It is my opinion that we need to hear more stories from women, particularly black women and I see The Help as an encouragement for black girls and women to step up and be heard.  Our stories are important and hold great power when spoken aloud.

However, the issues Melissa Harris-Perry and her guests brings up need to be considered.  Are the characters in The Help simply stereotypes, which actually hurt black females?  Is this story so laden with white-guilt that it fails to do anything but perpetuate our inaccurate cultural stereotypes?  Is our society blind to our assumed roles for women -- both black and white?  If so, how do we open our eyes and change those roles?

This past weekend, The Help was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.  Octavia Spencer received the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.  This movie is popular and celebrated.  I believe that obvious popularity should be used for good - as inaccurate and even harmful as it may be, this story has inspired many (myself included) to seek a greater understanding of the historical truths of black Americans.  One black female I know said this after viewing The Help: "I watched it with my Grandmother and my mom it was so interesting to hear their stories throughout the movie...it was powerful!"  I have hope that this kind of response will be common.  I have hope that The Help will bring about renewed interest in hearing and in speaking the real stories of blacks in the United States.  I have hope that our eyes and ears can be opened to see and hear everything that has so long been hidden behind stereotypes. 

Perhaps truth-telling can be a legacy of this piece of art, after all?  I hope.

You can find the discussion with Melissa Harris-Perry here: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/melissa-harris-perry/46523913#46523913

2 comments:

  1. first of all, I love Melissa Harris-Perry. but I'm also really happy you posted this. It explores a lot of my own problems with the movie itself, mainly that's it still seems to be about white people helping black people stand up for themselves. I almost wish it had been a book (which i confess to not having read yet) entirely from the perspective of the help, just delete the character of Miss Skeeter entirely. But that becomes problematic too. I guess I need to write my own blog entry about what I think.

    But I'm glad you posted this, and that you're talking about it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    Thank you for commenting - I'm glad you're talking about it, too! I remember thinking the very same thing about white people helping black people when I read the book, but everyone around me was talking about how awesome the book was. It wasn't until I heard Melissa Harris-Perry on the Colbert Report (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/405561/january-09-2012/melissa-harris-perry) that I finally heard someone talking about the story's negative messages and realized there might be something to my own feelings. I really look forward to whatever you end up writing!

    ReplyDelete