Monday, June 4, 2012

Soul

Yesterday I began writing another blog post on a terribly serious topic.  I realized most of my posts are serious.  It's time for something a bit more uplifting and positive.  So, today (inspired by the song I just heard on the radio, linked below) I'm going to write about one of my most favorite aspects of black culture in the U.S.: music.
Ah, there isn't anything quite like the way jazz, soul and gospel get into my blood and move me.  If I could live 5 different lives, in one I would definitely be a black female singer from the 1960s.  Or a black back-up singer.  Or a black woman in a church that had a choir.  Alas...I don't have a voice even for a white girl. 

But, I can still pretend.  I can roll up my car windows, turn the music on loud, raise my hands and sing along with Aretha, Etta, and Gladys.   :) 



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78-ftcqpNw

2 comments:

  1. so I know this is completely against the entire point of this post, but everytime I hear that song, I picture two things:
    1: every gay man at Gap falling in love with me when i played it on an overnight shift.

    and 2: this episode of 'House' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3wZ0GPluA

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was truly amazing, Rachel. Wow... Not sure I'll ever be able to hear that song the same way again. ;)

    ReplyDelete