Saturday, May 18, 2013

Old Clothes, New Tricks

Update on Clothing Overhaul:

I went through my dresses this past week.  This, I knew, was going to be the hardest part for me.  I love dresses.  They are easy, comfortably and preeeeety.  My goal was 6 dresses.  At the end of my first survey, I had 19 in my "keep" pile.  NINETEEN.  Y'all, that's more than THREE TIMES my goal.  (don't worry, my dad is a math teacher and my brother is a physicist.  I can totally do math...)  The point is, we're going to work on this more this coming week and maybe I'll have to re-organize my percentages and give myself a few more dresses and less of something else.

In the meantime, I've scoured the interwebs and found a few websites with great ideas for ways to recycle clothing that I can't (or, for sentimental reasons, don't want to) donate.  There are some wonderful ideas here, so check these out:

My friend Rachael (who lives and loves organically in South Africa and has an amazingly creative young daughter who could make these t-shirt bags in 2 minutes) shared this site with me.

If you're like me and can't do anything that takes skill, check out these ten no-sew t-shirt up-cycle projects.  My favorite part?  NO SEW.

Two words: Free Cardigan.  This is seriously so cool.  I looooovre cardigans.

Also, Free Vest.

Grocery Bags!  Grocery bags from t-shirts.  Brilliant.  My husband and I have such a difficult time remembering to bring our reusable fabric bags to the Grocery Store, so I figure the more I have, the more I can stash in my car so I'll just have them there when I need them.  And, guys, I have lots of t-shirts.  I lived inside a theatre for twelve years of my life and have a bazillion show t-shirts to prove it.  But I hardly wear them.  What a better way to remember those shows AND help the environment?!

I'm definitely going to teach my old clothes some of these new tricks.



2 comments:

  1. Brilliant, Amy! You are always the creative one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, Amy! Love your heart and your creativity!

    ReplyDelete