Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mr. Wrong__The 2nd Installment of "That White Woman is Starrin' At Us"

Yesterday Casey introduced me to Mr. Wrong by Mary J. Blige.  She connected her phone to the tape player (yes, tape player) in my car and played the song for us all saying to Amelia, "You don't know this song?  You got to know this song!"  They swayed in my car listening to the song, which reminded me in style of Me and Mrs. Jones.  The lyrics reminded me of a struggle many people have: staying in relationship with someone despite knowing their impact is not good. 

Casey changed the words "Mr. Wrong" to the name of her ex-boyfriend and the entire car erupted in laughter.  It may sound strange, but it was really sweet driving along listening to these girls mourn, sing, and heal together.  I often feel like I'm 40 years old around them, but this time that feeling was nice.  I could observe them as one who has passed the years of teenage angst.  I could see them growing and learning: dealing with hard things, but doing so with a strong group of friends around them.  I'm glad they have each other.  Thinking of all that made me smile.  And miss the street I was supposed to turn on.  Like 5 times.  They basically had to direct me home I was so distracted thinking about it.

Community is good and if healthy community can be built around a song, I don't think that's wrong.  Not wrong at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment