Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What God Put Us Down Here For

Wednesdays have become the day to discuss race and faith on ColorBind.  Today I'd like to hear from the brother of one of the Tulsa shooting victims (read about the incident here).  Kenneth Fields was interviewed by Morning Edition on NPR.  His sister, Donna Fields, was killed a block from her house as Jake England and Alvin Watts opened fire in her Tulsa neighborhood.

Here, from that broadcast, is what Kenneth has to say about the incident and the shooters:

"Kenneth Fields says he wants justice for his sister, but he doesn't think the men who have confessed to killing her should be put to death.

"I don't hate them. I don't hate them. That ain't what God put us down here for, to hate nobody," he says... He even wonders who will raise Jake England's infant son".


In my previous post, I talked about Jake England's choice to use his anger over the loss of his father to enact revenge against black people.  Kenneth Fields has made the opposite choice.  I am grateful for this silver lining in a sky that increasingly looks grim and cloudy and I will remember his words for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment